The Holistic Approach to Dentistry
Your dental health is just one facet of your health, but at Dr. Tim Kelly’s office, we believe that holistic dentistry can enhance your entire well-being. We are guided by the principles that dentistry should promote health and wellness; treat disease; and that dental health impacts the whole person.
Many people are confused about holistic dentistry and think holistic dentists don’t have as many treatment options as regular dentists. Actually, holistic dentist offer the same treatments as regular dentists. The main difference is that holistic dentists seek out materials and methods that they believe are safer for fillings, teeth whitening, and cleanings.
People also confuse the holistic approach with antiquated methods. Cosmetic dentist Tim Kelly in Albuquerque offers holistic dentistry in a bright and modern office. He has been practicing restorative dentistry in Albuquerque for more than 33 years and employs the most advanced diagnostic techniques. His dental team is skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable about all aspects of dentistry and strives to combine the best of both modern science and centuries old methods to incorporate the best of both worlds into his practice.
When treatment is called for, our holistic dentistry program employs the least invasive, least traumatic, and least toxic means of diagnosis and treatment. Sometimes called biological dentistry, it focuses on using biocompatible (non-toxic) materials to avoid introducing toxins into the body. A well-known and controversial dental material is amalgam, which has been used in fillings for decades. Amalgam is 50 percent mercury, a heavy metal that can damage the central nervous and immune systems. We strive to eliminate toxic materials like this from all our procedures.
To support the body’s natural abilities of self-healing, our holistic dentistry techniques include:
- Biocompatible Materials. We carefully research the materials we use for biocompatibility, which is the ability of a material to not harm the body. Restorations using mercury or nickel are not used. We do use biocompatible gold or porcelain, where possible, and metal free options are used if there are electrochemical concerns. For implants we use biocompatible titanium posts or metal-free zirconium.
- Biocompatible Testing. Substances affect each of us differently so not all materials are suited for everyone. We do individualized testing to ensure dental materials are compatible with patients.
- Homeopathy. Just as alternative medicine and homeopathy have grown in the medical world, they are now expanding into dentistry. We offer homeopathic medicine for pre- and post-treatment care.
- Acupuncture. We work with a certified acupuncturist to help patients relax, to treat dental pain, and to promote healing.
- Digital X-ray Equipment. We use digital X-ray equipment to reduce our patients’ exposure to radiation.
Finding a Holistic Dentist
As alternative medicine has become more popular, more people are seeking out a holistic dentist whose focus is not limited to a patient’s immediate needs, but also takes into account how dental health relates to overall health throughout a lifetime.
If you have been looking for a holistic dentist or are interested in the concept, please call us for a consultation. We would be happy to explain our outlook and what services we can provide to promote overall health and wellness.